Monday, January 20, 2014

Simple and Complex Gospel, Water for Elder Halterman.

    This week I have finally had some things click inside my head and things are just making more and more sense about this gospel.  As I study everyday and learn it just becomes more and more simple and more and more complex at the same time.  I don't know if it has ever been the same for you?
     This week I just want to say thank you for all the missionaries that are out on missions facing trials and challenges.  Yesterday Elder Jones and I came across a man from the states.... Elders and Sisters serving in Europe and States side, or anywhere, where it is hard laboring to teach the children of our Heavenly Father, I bow and salute you!  I know its not easy but I promise you that the lord will bless you!
     This week was so sweet we did so much teaching and testifying.  We are now building our teaching pool up and back up to some sweet people and dropping some people.  It's nice just to get into the missionary grove and wake up, eat, study, teach plan sleep and do it all again!  What a life!  This past week I have been telling an elder that we live with (Elder Halterman) that I was going to pour a whole bucket of water on him. This morning I was able to do that.  We have a bathroom that is outside and as he was taking a his bath, Elder Jones and I filled two buckets and crept around the house and waited untill he came out.. and.. bam!! we soaked him! Ohhhhh Elder Halterman.  Elder Halterman is from parowan utah and he is a farmer!   I love talking to him and talking all about tractors and all sorts of things.   haha Look forward to visiting the Haltermans!
   Every now and then I have these.. what am I doing here?  Moments this week I had one that hit me hard. We had been out all day and a hot one too.  We were at the Turray family to follow up with them and to start reteaching the lessons to them.   My companion was on this broken bench next to sister Turray who was attending to her hungry child.  I was on a small small bench that is about 3 inches off the ground. Surrounding me was rice that needed to be beaten for harvesting,  he fire for cooking, some dried fish and just lots of random other things.  I looked off to my right and saw the swamp and a bunch of men farming.  In that instance it just hit me. What am i doing here?   haha those moments that I have come few now.   After teaching the lesson we crossed that swamp and coming out of it we went under by the palm trees and under the cover of the mango trees.  Then another one hit me. I am in Africa!   That sweet feeling of being on the Lords time and doing his work among the people here in Sierra Leone is one of the most earnest feelings that I could feel in my life!  I love being a missionary!
 
Well family I just can't believe it, it's just like I woke up and its Monday again. the way that things are meeting up here it seems like the next two or three weeks are just going to be super super busy with my Elder Jones and I.   It's now week 3 of transfers.  We have 3 apartments that are pending in the construction process and some furniture that is being built, that all needs to go in.  That means Elder Jones and I have to do all the transferring and moving stuff and making sure they are all ready for missionaries!   Seems like we need to be driving huh?!   Also there is going to be a big surprise next week!   haha all in all, mission is going great and I am loving it.  The trials and challenges of life come and go and there is always a big pool of mixed emotions that goes around but I am grateful for them and I am really understanding more and more what this life is for and the purpose of having a mortal body.  I love you all and hope you have a good week! Remember, Read, Pray and take time to think about the good things in life that come!  I found this quote the other day in a house...

If you want to be happy in life
free your heart from hatred- forgive
free your mind from worries- most never happen
live simply and appreciate what you have- give more
expect less from people, but always more from yourself

Remember the church is true and the book is blue!
love ELDER HALES

No comments:

Post a Comment