Hey Dad,
So today I just want to thank you for something that you taught me early on in my mission. There was a day when I was feeling really down on myself and I told you that I wasn't going to do the ordinance for a baptism and you told me that, that was when I should have really been doing it due to the call that I have been called to and the need of the spirit in which I needed. Ever since that life changing even happened to me in Freetown I have ever since looked back on it. On Saturday we were at a baptismal service to witness and what a wonderful time it was. There was many people there for support and many to enter into the waters. As one of the missionaries went into the water and received the old man to be baptized the spirit filled my being and he pronounced the prayer in such a dignified manner and I knew at that moment in time once again that this was the Lords work and when we do it right we can feel and know of its truthfulness. After coming out of the water I turned my scriptures to D&C 84; 19-21
(19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godlinessis manifest.
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;)
and it reminded me of what my father had told me at a darker time in life.. Its true Dad I understand now. "in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest". I can only imagine what its like to be a temple worker and to see "mysteries of the kingdom" unfolded to you! Thanks dad. Also at that baptismal service was a surprise to my companion and I. We were sitting there at the time of the testimonies of the candidates and one stood who was familiar to us. But we knew him not. During his testimony he gave a story of how Elder Jones and I had came to his brother looking for an ice cream machine to rent, and how he was there at our zone conference at Christmas time. At the conference he felt the spirit as we sang hymns of rejoice of Christs birth and after it was over we referred him to the local missionaries. He was baptized and confirmed this weekend! Isn't the timing of the Lord so crazy?! What would have happened if Sister Ostler didn't order the Assistants to go in search of an ice cream machine? ha-ha its true the Lords time is not our time. Another highlight of my week was a sweet young man in our branch. His family had been less active for a while and as Elder Jones and I found them and talked with the young man if the family and invited him back to church and told him that we would be there for him to sit with him. It was rather unfortunate that Sunday he came we couldn't fulfill our promise to sit with him. He sat in the very very back as Elder Jones and I gave talks that day. That was the day I gave the talk on feeling the spirit in our lives... this week we went and saw Brother Phillip and he had a different countenance about him and he just randomly asked me what scriptures in the Book of Mormon did I read that helped me in my life find peace. We read to him 1st Nephi 8 and he was asking so many questions about what the iron rod was and the building and what the meaning of the darkness was and so forth.. The spirit was felt and later on we gave him the assignment to read chapter 11. He called us the night before Sunday late and night and we didn't answer it cause it was too late at night and I was fast asleep. But he showed up to church this Sunday and no longer had a frown on his face but rather a smile and a sense of peace to him. Just another testimony to me of the truthfulness of the Gospel and its teachings. Who wouldn't want to follow what the church teaches if it brings so much peace and happiness to the saints? I often ask myself that question each and everyday. Another good example of this question was manifested to me at church. For a long time ever since I have been in Kenema I knew a young man who's name was brother Musa. I taught him and he never progressed. When I came to Bo he too was here for school and is living in my area. After this three months of teaching him he finally came to church on Sunday and bore his testimony! Though he be a Muslim, he gave his testimony of the truthfulness of the saints and how he knows the church is true and the things they teach make a difference in the lives of the saints. Wow another witness of the truth and simplicity of Gospel living.
Elder Jones and I have a sweet week planned out and hope to do much teaching and to see much success in our area. We are now on top of all our craziness work and now back to being "normal missionaries" ha-ha I continue to love my mission and love being in the service of our Lord!
ELDER HALES
No comments:
Post a Comment